Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Sweet Dreams..... ;)

Well...  it is almost 1 a.m and although I had every intention of staying awake until 11 p.m to re-test the kids blood sugars, I closed my heavy eyes for just one second at around 9:45 and didn't wake up until now!  Since tomorrow (technically today) is the first day back to school after the holiday break I had wanted to make sure that their blood sugars were fairly close to target range at bed time in hopes that throughout the night and into the morning they would wake feeling good for the school day.  At around 9:30 p.m everyone seemed fine with Michael at 101 and Kalee testing at 89 (she had a juice box) and I told her I would re-test her at around 11.  Well here it is one in the morning and when I went to re-check both of the kids Kalee was testing at 347 and Michael was sitting at 239...  Yikes!!  What had happened???  Honestly..  sometimes I feel like the kids are dreaming about cookies and ice creme or something fabulously sweet and full of carbs...  to drastically increase their blood sugars during the night!  I corrected both Kalee and Michael and after an hour I re-checked...  Kalee was now pushing the 400 mark so there was no doubt for me...  time for a shot and a change in pod (although we had changed it at dinner time)..  When I went to take hers off I could see that the tubing/cannula was completely removed and sitting on top of her skin...  UGH!!!   Alright...  at least that would explain her high blood sugars...  Now it will only take the rest of the night to get her to come down and feeling good for school tomorrow.  Michael, on the other hand had a slower increase...  he went from 239 to 248.  I, of course, looked closely at his pod.  It looked like it was inserted properly, so I gave him another correction via the omnipod, increased his basal for about an hour and will sit and wait to see if he comes down.  I am happy to have this blog, other wise I would be scanning the television channels most likely ending up watching CNN,  trying everything possible to stay awake ;).  That first day sending the kids back to school always give me a nervous feeling in my stomach.  Now add these high blood sugars to that!!  Time for a deep breath (and maybe a cup of coffee:) The kids are due for a re-check so I will say goodnight for now... I know that I am not alone, as many of you type 1 parents have experienced these long nights from time to time.   Stay tuned for a continuation..  Although I am sure that this will turn out like the nights that many of you know so well: with small increment's of correction bolus's each hour and half ...  Kids will wake up not knowing a thing  happened and I will walk around looking as if I had been hit by a truck all day.  This certainly is not easy but as you mom's (and dads) out there know...  No one is more worth  all of this than our kids <3
Sweet (or maybe a little less sweet) dreams everyone ;)


Continued...  Well this morning was just what I had thought it would be.  The kids woke up with very close to target blood sugars...  (Kalee, believe it or not was actually a little on the low end with a b/s of exactly 70).  Michael was a lovely 130 and as you can imagine,  I am ready for bed... But unfortuntaly the day has just begun!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Been there so many times. I once read that the parent of a Diabetc child loses 10 yrs off there life. Boy do I believe it! Here's hoping you got some rest last night and someday we will look back after a cure and just be proud of what we sacrificed to keep our children healthy to get to them to that point. That's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa... I do believe that the 10 years could be an accurate estimate. I am holding on to that hope of looking back someday once a cure is found. Thanks for the support! :)

      Delete