Sunday, January 6, 2013

Teenagers and Type 1.. Can get complicated ;)

No one ever said that raising teenagers is an easy task.  Throw diabetes into the mix and things can get complicated.  Well last night my daughter Kalee...  turning 15 this week, went to a girlfriends for a sleepover.  Now let me just say that sleepovers are few and far between for my children because we have some wacky nights with blood sugars ranging from very high to extremely low..  Everything always seems worse at night in our household...  She texted me her blood sugar at 7p.m.. She was 145.  Then texted me a blood sugar at 10 p.m...  Her blood sugar increased to 210.  I  received another text at midnight..,  blood sugar was 245 (Oh no, here we go!!), .... We did one more correction and I was hopeful that she would come down.  I fell asleep and didn't waken until 6 a.m where I stared at the clock wondering if Kalee was sleeping, or dropping or feeling sick from a high blood sugar night.  A mom can really make themselves crazy with worry.. (well this mom can, anyway ;).  At 9 a.m I got a text " I feel sick and I am 405."  My reaction was none-the-less, over the top!  "What do you mean you are 405???"  "Do you purposely choose not to pay any attention to your glucose meter when it beeps and signals that you are rising??"  Okay, so maybe I over reacted a little, but I didn't need the beautiful response ..."U R being dramatic Mom! "  That is what my 15 year old texted back at me.  She changed her pod and blood sugar was dropping by the time she was picked up at about 10:30 a.m., but really!  Kalee knows all that we have done over the years to keep her healthy yet there are days where she chooses to ignore the possibility that by not taking care of her blood sugars she can become seriously ill.  It is such a fine line as a parent because...  I don't want to instill fear/and anxiety in Kalee by reminding her of the seriousness of her condition but...  at the same time she is getting older and should definitely be more aware of what needs to be done to keep herself safe and well.  I remember being a teenager (although the memory is getting more and more vague the older I get).. and I know that carefree feeling, sometimes I wish I still had it but....  in Kalee's case it can be detrimental.  She was perfectly fine for the rest of the day (except for having to listen to her mother rant a bit and go on and on about the importance of taking care of her blood sugars!)  It's what we mom's do, right??  Well, not all of us but I definitely do!  When Kalee was a little girl, I used to hear of these stories and be like...  "Not my daughter."  "Kalee would never be so irresponsible"..  Well, guess what parents.  I realize now that no one should ever be over confident of how you or your child will react in a situation unless we are walking through it ourselves.  Lesson learned ;).  I have a lot of lessons to go, I'm sure, but I certainly wish this teenage thing could be a little less stressful for all of us!

4 comments:

  1. been there , done that got the t-shirt let me say your daughter isn't alone. i rebelled against my diabetes from 13 until 15 and im quite glad i rebelled young many rebel when they get independence at uni (college?) problem is at that age under the adult drs who arent as supportive or on your back as paediatrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 13 is when the fun began in our house as well. My daughter will be 15 on Wed... Hopefully things will settle down. I have two other children one younger with type 1 so I think we may have a long road ahead ;)

      Delete
  2. haha i went so so off the rails skipped injections skipped tests (no cgms over here) . a1c was 10.3% before my doctor gave me a huuuuuge telling off and it finally got through to me. last a1c was 7.4 and luckily avoided any complicationsv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you are doing well now. Keep it up. I know it isn't easy!!

      Delete