Monday, January 21, 2013

School Exams - Not a big deal, right? ;)

Mid-terms and finals..  No big deal, right??  Every one of us, at one time or another, has had to sit in a classroom or gymnasium to take these exams with anticipation and anxiety.  Now throw Type 1 into the mix and things can get interesting.  Kalee has mid-term exams this week...  A post on our district web-site reads...  NYS law effective immediately prohibits, cell phones and any/all electronic devices into a mid-term/final/or state test.  Okay, we have always had the rule of no cell phones to be used during an exam but...  they were allowed into the room and to be turned off then placed under your chair until a proctor came to collect your paper, at which time you would gather your belongings and exit the room.  The cell phone is not my issue (although, both of my children have 504's on file with the district with one accommodation being that they will carry their cell phone at all times to contact a parent regarding health related issues throughout the day.)  My issue is the wireless insulin pump that looks much like a cell phone.  As if my daughter wants any more attention drawn to her, we now have to deal with the most definite possibility of a proctor confronting her as she enters the examination room regarding the little purple device in the small black case which delivers her insulin.  In a perfect world, the district would make all employees aware of these students with health accommodations....  Let's even go out on a limb and assume that they would make the teachers aware of the 504 plans that these students have but...  unfortunately this is NOT a perfect world and it makes the Mama Bear in me want to claw someone!!!  I have sent e-mails to administration and teachers regarding the issue and to give them the benefit of the doubt...  today is a holiday so I am hopeful that within the next day or two I will receive a response... Although I am prepared to take on the issue, it would be so nice if  just once the school district would already have a plan in place without having to seek out administration.  Lets keep our hopes high for a positive outcome to the matter...  I'll keep you posted ;)

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me when Bryan had a Boyscout board of review to move up to the next position. I saw that he didn't take in his diabetes bag so I knocked on the door and slid his bag in (I didn't even walk in), I gave his bag a huge push and slid it over to him. Well, a good-long term friend of mine happens to be on the board, but she didn't understand what I was doing and thought I just wanted to listen in or somehow interfere. She was annoyed and when she told me later how she felt, I was furious. It destroyed our friendship for several months. She never did understand. She couldn't understand that if Bryan were going low, he would need juice and I knew he might not say anything to leave this important meeting to go find his bag, or ask someone else to go get it. What a mess that was!
    Benita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benita... I must say that if I were approched, as you were, by a long time friend regarding the situation our relationship would probably have ended. I have learned over the years that even if I don't commpletely understand a situation I will try very hard not to seem insensitive to what others are experiencing. It would seem so normal for you and I to slide a bag of supplies into a room that our children might need to utilize.. Wouldn't it be nice if others were a little more compassionate to peoples needs.. Today is Kalee's exam. Her teacher was very kind and replied saying that there would be no confusion and Kalee will not have a problem... I am hopeful, but I will keep you posted..

      Delete