Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cutting the apron strings.... :)

The littlest things in life become very big deals in the world of Type 1...  My son, age 11 came to me and said "Mom, I'd like to try out for the play at school."  Now, in a perfect world any mother would be thrilled to have their child involved in extracurricular activities but...  in "My world" the world of Type 1 parenting...  my heart drops into my stomach with the though of, "After school, without mommy."  Now you would think that by now I would be used to this since my daughter, Kalee, also Type 1, has been playing soccer and running track since she were in middle school..  but ,even now that she is in the high school...  I find myself staring at the clock, after school, wondering when she is going to call for a ride home... If she is a minute past when practice is supposed to be over my heart starts racing.  Now, Michael has played on rec. soccer/even baseball teams since he were in pre-school.  The difference being....  myself or my husband has always been there watching him!!!  I don't worry so much while he is in school because the day is very structured with him checking in at the health office at least three times a day... but after school is a different story.  There are no nurses on staff and Michael always comes home to a snack waiting for him...  Now I will have to rely on a cell phone call and a granola bar to hold him over which may or may not do the trick.  I know that I have to do this but, in my heart I want Michael home safe and sound, with me, by 3:00, testing his blood sugar and eating his afternoon treat.  So tomorrow, I will be taking a BIG step in my world of cutting one maybe two at most of the apron strings...  which I have tried so hard for as long as I possibly could to keep attached.






4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! It's very, very difficult! Bryan went to NYC a mo. ago and forgot HIS DIABETES BAG ON THE BUS ALL DAY!!!!! I was freaking out here at home!!!!! What a horrible nerve-racking day that was!!!! Do I dare let him go again (it's a homeschool field trip with his class)??? Yikes!!!!!! There is another one coming up!!
    By the way, his wonderful teacher had to walk a mile at least to a CVS to buy him another testing kit, but he didn't have his glucagon all day!! PLUS, when he got back on the bus, he didn't find his bag!! So, he didn't have it til about midnight!!!! UGH!!!!

    Benita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benita... Doesn't it seem as if we moms are always walking around with a sick/nervous feeling in our stomach.. See, Bryan is just fine, but it will take forever for you, as it would me, to get over that episode! I have a feeling that Bryan probably did learn his lesson from the NYC incident but... you have great judgement so I know you will make the right decision with upcoming field trip.. Keep me posted. <3

      Delete
  2. Cutting those strings are so hard! I am trying just this week to let Shane not text me his number at lunch at school...I just can't wait for him to get home from wrestling so I can ask him. lol

    I don't know what I will do when he goes off to college! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, I haven't faced the college issue yet. Please offer me some advice for that one when it comes. My oldest Macy has one more year before college and when she talks about going away my heart skips a beat... and she is the one that does not have diabetes!

      Delete