Saturday, September 29, 2012

High Heels and Homecoming....

Okay...  so here we go!  Off to high school and having fun!  Tonight is the Homecoming Dance.  My daughters and their friends have been looking forward to going since the start of school.  The dresses, shoes, jewelry have been purchased but now....  back to our world....Where will I wear my pod??  Question number one comes up as Kalee tries on her fitted dress that doesn't leave much room for a clunky insulin filled pod stuck to your stomach.  Try lower, try higher, try more toward the hip....  is my reply, as we try desperately to find an inconspicuous spot!!!  Okay, first problem solved... we will put it closer to the hip..  Now how about the sensor which is on the stomach...  Let's try to stretch the dress a little bit in the stomach area so that sensor doesn't pop right through...  Where will I put my pdm monitor and test strips???  In your small black purse with your phone I reply.... Is the purse big enough?  We'll make it fit....  These are the little issues that have a way of putting a damper on something that is supposed to be fun and exiting....  Kalee is still wearing a big smile on her face but then realizes...  no room for the sugar tablet bottle in her purse!!  No problem, we will put tablets in a plastic baggie and squish them in there....  The smile fades a little bit.   I tell her not to allow all of this to take the fun out of her night.  In my heart I really want to say.....  don't forget to test at least once (preferably twice), lower your basal if you have more than one low.....  and call me!!!  Instead I smile, give her a hug and tell her to be wise, and have fun.  Heart wrenching for me.  I would love to be right there with Kalee making sure that she is doing everything that I have taught her over the years  but...  the reality of it is....  I am not going to be able to be over her shoulder every minute for the rest of her life.  A very tough reality for this mom to accept.  So, as my daughter heads off to her first Homecoming Dance ... I must step back and silently pray that she takes what I have taught her and makes wise decisions not only relating to her blood sugar but to life choices in general....  (It helps to know that her older sister will be there keeping an eye on things as well;)  High heels and Homecoming...  here we come!!

Kalee posing with Michael before the dance.

Macy and Kalee all ready for Homecoming...
 

4 comments:

  1. My daughter is only 11 but also wears the pod. I felt your anxiety as I read this post. I hope the night went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the well wishes. The night did go smoothly... although I could not get rid of the lump in my throat until everyone was home, safe and sound;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading my blog and commenting. <a href="http://www.heels.bz/”> high heels </a> is sustainable lifestyle and latest brand "Seraphims with sexy high heels".

    ReplyDelete
  4. very famous trend of fashion ..if you wanna get more trendy fashion latest styish shoes and clothes visit our site..!

    ReplyDelete