Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Things that People Say....

People try sometimes a little too hard to say the "right" things, with the intent, I suppose, to comfort.  Some words that I wish I could have forgotten have remained imprinted in my mind.  I remember one particular incident when Kalee was first diagnosed...  We were in the hospital and a nurse had come to take her blood.  She stuck her two times and was going in for a third when I told her "No more," and asked to please get someone else to try.... We have rights.. and no will advocate for a child like their parent.  She must have been insulted by my request and said with a smile on her face, "Well, with diabetes she will have to get used to needles."  I asked her to please leave the room...  When she left, I thought to myself, "Who would say something so insensitive in front of a six year old child?" I had no idea, at the time, that her words would be the first of many, "Things that people say," that cause me to question if people really consider the words that come out of their mouths.  I cannot count how often I have had to hear over the years, "God doesn't give us anything more than we can handle." Now, I am a very religious person, relying on my faith to get through any struggle that I am facing, but I have to tell you that no where in the bible have I ever found a passage saying that "God doesn't give us anything more than we can handle".... With each of our children's diagnosis I can say for sure that I felt that I was definitely dealing with much more than I could handle!  Another moment that comes to mind was a morning when I ran out to Target to get the essentials...  from laundry detergent to socks....  I just love Target.. it's a one stop shop!  While I was picking up some necessities I ran into a woman that I hadn't seen in quite some time.  When I asked how she and her family had been her response to me was this... "Well, I have good days and bad days but no matter how bad it gets I tell myself life could be worse it could be like yours with the sick children...."  Talk about dumb founded.  How was I suppose to respond to that? I felt like someone had just kicked me in the stomach.  I smiled and politely excused myself then left the shopping cart in the middle isle to run to my car and cry.... Over the years I have developed a thicker skin and now believe it or not I actually find some humor in the ridiculous things that people will say.  It is inevitable that as mom's with diabetic children we will have to hear many times comments like "Your child shouldn't be eating that."or...  "I knew someone who grew out of their diabetes."..  This is an all time favorite..  "My Great Grandfathers cousin got diabetes when he was seventy-five and had to takes a pill that helps him."  It used to frustrate me when people would make these remarks but over the years I have learned to grin and bear it.  Some people don't know what to say (so it would really be best to say nothing at all).  Some just do not have any knowledge about Type 1.  Take it in stride mom's.... (although this can be difficult) Look at the interesting writing material that can come from the ridiculous and sometimes insensitive..."Things That People Say..."   ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment