Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Lucky One....

As moms, we naturally worry about all of our children.  For the two with Type 1 my primary focus is their health, of course, along with the many other issues that go with parenting...but for my oldest, Macy (non-diabetic), I have different concerns..  She gets many comments from (well meaning) people, I'm sure. Her favorite by far is, "Oh, Your the Lucky One." You just have to love the things that people say. That in itself will be an entirely separate entry. Being the oldest child in a family where your two other siblings are Type 1 is not always easy. She and I can be engaging in a conversation about her day and my youngest will say..."I feel low," at which point everything stops and I must treat him immediately. Last night we were attending her honor awards ceremony at school and about fifteen minutes into the program my cell phone rang... The issue:  My daughter, Kalee,  had misplaced her omnipod (insulin device).   Now, we have lost our omnipods before....  LOTS AND LOTS of times, but tonight was about Macy (or at least it was supposed to be).  My first thought was to irrationally jump into the car and rush home to find it...  I needed to quickly regroup. Then whispered into my cell, "Keep looking."  While saying a silent prayer that it would turn up the phone rang again.  The pump had been found (under a backpack). Yay!..  Crisis over (for now). These things happen all of the time and of course at the worst possible moments.  I often worry that Macy's quality time with us gets interrupted a little more than it should.  She takes things in stride and I am grateful that she understands that some things are out of my control...  or at least she pretends too....  I am not so certain,  however, that she would always consider herself to be "The Lucky One" ;)

2 comments:

  1. I just got a chance to read through all your posts. I love you! I miss you. I am crying as I ready this because I know how much of a struggle it has been. I know this will be a great resource to other families just beginning this journey. I know it is very brave of you to put yourself out there and I am proud of you! XOXOXOX to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too... The posts weren't meant to make you cry but I find that I shed a few tears while writing them as well. Maybe it's just our girly hormones;)

      Delete