Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Report Card Day.... A1C

Well tomorrow is our three month appointment, when I take the kids to the endocrinologist for their A1C blood test.  I can't help but to get knots in my stomach whenever this day comes.  I have always felt as if the kids A1C is a report card as to how I am doing with controlling their blood sugars.   Over the years (especially when Kalee was little) the A1C's ranged between 6.2 to 6.8... (a good range in the world of Type1 D) Michael's have remained nicely controlled for now but, as adolescence creeps up, so do the A1C's.  We have been seeing between 7.1 to 8.5 over the past year with our teenager.  I would be lying if I did not admit that these gradual increases trouble me. My heart, now, skips a beat when the phone rings with the lab results.  I mean... really, What is the matter with me??  Do I think that the Dr. is going to put a big FAIL on my forehead when the A1C's increase??   I know that logically this makes no sense at all. As much as I tell my brain to stop..  I just can't seem to... We have wonderful Dr's that have always given positive feedback regarding the labs yet...  I tend to want to beat myself up over the increases that come along with growth spurts and hormones...  I am going to try to take a deep breath and accept the fact that I am doing the best that I can....  My teenager is taking on a little more of the responsibility.  Letting go, even a little bit, has been difficult. Teaching our children independence is what we parents strive for, right?? .... Although, with their health, independence, adds a different dimension to the equation.  As I go to sleep tonight, anticipating tomorrows Dr. appt...  I know, with confidence that I have put my greatest effort into getting a "good grade" on "report card day."   That is the best I have to offer...;)  I applaud all of the mom's out there putting their energy into keeping their children healthy...  Even if the A1C's aren't the greatest we should most certainly receive an A+ for effort!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment