Monday, September 10, 2012

A Number Sets the Tone...

As much as we mom's try not to allow that first morning blood sugar set the tone for the day, it is difficult, at times,  not to. This morning both of the kids woke up with higher than "normal" blood sugars.  When I say "normal"  I mean "normal" for them.  Anything below a 140 would be ideal in my book....  however, in the world of Type 1 Diabetes that doesn't always happen.  We woke up to a 204 and a 190....  Yuck!!!  There was a time, however, when my kids were much younger that I would have been fine with a 190- for all of you mom's that have the little one's with Type 1.  I was happy to see anything below 200 when they were small.  It didn't matter how many times I got up in the middle of the night to fix the blood sugars while the kids slept they still woke up on the high side of the spectrum this morning..."Thanks a lot change of seasons causing our household colds":( that I am sure have contributed to the fluctuations. Although, quite often there is no rhyme or reason to the crazy blood sugars...  sometimes it is a pump which became kinked in the night (my kids are on the omnipod wireless insulin device) or simply the pasta and bread....   Mom (me) is Italian :) that they had for dinner which causes the blood sugars to be high. Then there are those dreaded middle of the night lows....   I am referring to those nights when the kids went to bed at a lovely 150 and at a 3 a.m check their blood sugar is 45....  This happens more with my daughter right now...  Soccer and running has a lot to do with that, as well as being a teenager and all of the hormone fluctuations.  Any parent of a child with Type 1 knows exactly what I am talking about.  The best advice that I can offer is to "treat and move on"  although much easier said than done.  For many years I beat myself up over the bad blood sugars.  Going over and over in my head what I could have done differently to prevent the highs and lows..  Truth is...  there is nothing that we can do to always prevent the highs and lows.  It is the name of the game in Type 1.  Trial and error.  What I do for them today may not work for them tomorrow.  Mom's out there....  go a little easier on yourselves.  We do the best we can.  There is no formula for a perfect blood sugar..... Although life would be much easier if there were!!  Try not to let that morning blood sugar set the tone for your day.....  unless, of course,  it is a good one!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment