Sunday, September 9, 2012

Toddlers to Teenagers...

Raising young children with Type 1 is much different than raising teenagers with Type 1.  I have to be honest....  I definitely think that I was much better at it when my daughter was 6 rather than 14.  My son who is now 11 was diagnosed at age 9.  He is still in the "My mom knows everything about how to take care of me phase." :)  My daughter just began her freshman year of high school. She is so past the "My mom knows everything phase"...  Letting go has probably been one of my biggest struggles.  We went from a school where the nurses became like second mom's with three phone calls home each day touching base regarding blood sugars to Freshman year in a very large high school where she has decided that she would like the freedom to take care of her blood sugars independently... (still with a little help from mom.)  Instead of hearing her voice over the phone from school I get a text at lunch and before soccer practice with a simple blood sugar number and if I am really lucky I get a "Thnx.. Lv U" response.  I will take whatever <3 I can get right now.  My son, of course, is still full of the hugs for mom.  I have a feeling that the clock is ticking but I am going to cherish it while it lasts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment