Friday, December 7, 2012

Tis' the Season...

The holidays are here!!  This is the time of year when the Christmas parties and family gatherings are in full force.  With the parties come all of the delicious treats: cakes, candies, cookies..  (canolli's- if you are Italian ;)  Sometimes, as you Type1 parents know, these goodies can wreak a lot of havoc on the blood sugars.  The counting carb. part of my brain goes into overdrive (sometimes overload) at this time of year!  I do my best to keep watch as to what my children are eating, although not always an easy task.  We try to enjoy the festivities as much as possible.  In the early years of the Type 1 diagnoses....  these parties were more of an anxiety festival for me but as experience would have it....  I embrace the holiday gatherings, a bit more than I had in the past.  I do the best that I can to work with the kids on figuring out all of the carbs that they are taking in... (Although sometimes we are very off. Other times we are right on!).  My advice to the parents heading into the holiday season..  is to try as much as possible to enjoy it.  It is once a year, and they won't be little forever...  We make mistakes with the carb. counting and the insulin bolus's might be wrong but mistakes happen...  Correct the high's and lows, and try, if you can to move on and enjoy yourself.  It is not healthy for anyone to worry sick over carb. counting.  Believe me... I know! Carry extra insulin and extra sugar with you for those mistakes which happen from time to time.  Don't beat yourself up over the mistakes...  we ALL make them.  I try as much as possible not to say "no" to the treats at these parties..  After all, it is Christmas time.  My hope is that as the kids get older they will use better discretion in deciding whether or not to have that third and fourth cookie..  We are definitely not there yet:( So in the mean time we will ride through these holidays "guesstimating" the carbs and praying for a good A1C!  Happy Holidays to all of you Type 1 Families.  You hold a special  place in my heart.  I especially understand that even the most happiest of occasions can be stressful in the world of Type 1 <3 








2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Mary! You have become such a blessing to me, just reading your experiences! Thank you so much and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too, April! I was so hoping to touch someones life by doing these blogs... You have truly blessed me today by your kind comment. I hope that you have a wonderful Holiday Season with your family!

      Delete