Friday, December 21, 2012

Putting it into perspective....

Life as we know it has been changed with the course of events that have occurred over the past week.  I haven't had words to begin to express my heartfelt grief for the families affected by the Newtown tragedy.  The world is still the same.  There has always been good and evil, but somehow when the lives of children are taken away it feels as if the goodness of the world has been removed...  Let me also make mention of the heroic adults who too, lost their lives to this horrific tragedy.  I have been reflecting all week, trying to wrap my mind around this devastating event but cannot even begin to process the thought of losing any of my children.  As I finished up the last of the Christmas shopping and wrapping of gifts I could not help but feel an overwhelming sense of guilt and sadness for celebrating a holiday, when other families are suffering such a deep loss from having their children tragically taken from them.  Somehow, over the course of the past week, the midnight and 3 a.m blood sugar checks haven't seemed as exhausting.  In fact, there was actually a part of me that was grateful to wake up and have my children sleeping soundly in their beds while I was testing their blood sugars.  As I sent them out the door to school each day, with a silent prayer of protection over their lives...  I thanked God for giving them to me.   So many times over the years, I have had to stop myself from questioning "why" two of my children were stricken with Type 1 and today I feel guilty for asking such a question because I am so grateful just to have them.  Do not get me wrong, I am only human, and I realize that I am still going to have those feelings of frustration with the dreadful days of treating high and low blood sugars but when such an event occurs like that of Sandy Hook, it puts it all into perspective.  May God bless and keep you all safe and sound this holiday season and to all of the families  of Newtown Connecticut.... My prayers are with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment