Thursday, November 22, 2012

Typical Type 1 Thanksgiving... "For our family anyway ;)"

Well, what began as a very nice Thanksgiving turned into a bit of a diabetic crisis this evening.  As we sat around a lovely table enjoying our feast with family, my son, Michael, came to me to say that he had finished his dinner and was ready to move on to dessert.  I took his omnipod out of my purse to cover for all of the delicious carbs. that he had devoured.  As I programmed the carbohydrate count into the omnipod, the pdm read... "PDM failure, Insulin delivery stopped, change pod now."  along with a 1-800 #  to contact.  As you can imagine, I became so frustrated.  I mean really....  what timing! Couldn't this have happened on an uneventful day at home??   NO!!!..  It had to happen while we were visiting family for Thanksgiving, right after a huge meal.  I quickly got up from the table and contacted the 800 number.  The customer service rep. was apologetic and gave me instructions on how to reset the pdm.  Suddenly the pdm began flashing on and off with lines through it.  Oh my gosh...  something was very wrong with this pump!  The customer service rep explained that the pump had absolutely failed.  Michael was getting no insulin.  I went into a brief panic then got myself together enough to remember that I had an extra pdm at home.  I quickly found the car keys and headed out the door to my house..  (only 10 minutes away, thankfully.)  At home, I grabbed the new pdm, pod, needles, extra Novelog, even Lantus, just in case I could not get the new pdm to work, (Although the scary thing is...  it has been so long since we have used Lantus, I was unsure how many units to safely administer).  I had placed my notebook with Michael's info on the settings such as basals, carb to insulin ratios, and correction factors in such a safe place that even I could not find it!  Panic!  I had to guess on all of Michael's settings as I programmed this pdm.  As I sat in a room full of people trying to think clearly, I realized that not one person in the room could help me and I felt so completely alone, knowing that I was the only one that could fix this for my son.. and praying that I would do it accurately.  I pretended to be calm but my flushed face and the hives on my chest were giving my "fake calm" away.  Michael's pod was changed, his blood sugar was tested and his pdm was set up, but hours later, the lump in my throat still remained, as did the hives.  We are home now, and Michael is tucked into bed for the night.  He seems to have not a care in the world. I am thankful that my anxiety did not affect him this evening...  So tonight, while most of the world sleeps,  I will be continuously checking my sons blood sugar to be sure that the settings I have programmed into the pdm were close to accurate...  I wish it could have been a drama free Thanksgiving but then again....  all of the Type 1 parents understand that this is just part of our reality!!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone....  I am still keeping my hopes up for a "Crisis free Christmas"...  ;)

2 comments:

  1. Wow...not a good day. If it makes you feel any better my daughter's BG was so high on Thanksgiving at one point it didn't even register on the PDM. Your post reminded of the feeling of panic I had at the same time eveyone else around me didn't have a care in the world.

    You were not alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support. I know the feeling of everyone else around not having a care in the world... Sometimes I actually envy them. It helps to know that there are others out there who completely understand. I hope your daughter's bg is within a safe range now, it is just so frustrating. Sometimes those omnipods are not perfect... but nothing really is, right?? Happy Holidays and thank you again for your support! :)

    ReplyDelete