Saturday, November 3, 2012

Technology... When it works it's terrific, but when it doesn't.. What havic!!! :(

Okay....  so things seemed to be going well last night.  The kids got settled in at a fairly decent hour and everyones blood sugar seemed to be under control.  I woke up at about 1 a.m to check on Michael and Kalee.  Michael's blood sugar was a perfect 130 (perfect in my book for sleeping) and Kalee's continuous glucose meter (Dexcom) read 164 (a little on the high side but still decent).  I decided not to correct and check in an hour to see if she would come down on her own.  About an hour later I woke up and saw that Kalee's Dexcom still read in the 160 range...  for some reason, I decided to do a quick finger stick so that I could rest peacfully...  The meter read 374!....  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  How could the Dexcom be so off from her actual blood sugar?  I decided to check it again, after cleaning off her finger with an alcohol swab, in hopes that maybe a lotion or a soap was causing the high reading. NOPE... 376, okay...  it is not the finger stick that is the problem it is the continous glucose meter!!  UGH!!  When technology works it is a God send but when it doesn't it can really wreak havic.  Of course, this is typical, that it is occuring at 2 a.m and not in the middle of the day...  Why does everything have to happen at night (or the wee hours of the morning)?  Really, is it not meant for us moms to sleep?  Even when the kids were small, everything always happened at night, the fevers, the earaches, the croupy coughs!  So now here I am with my 14 year old daughter still up at night!  First I acted quickly and gave her an injection of novelog...  to be certain that she was getting insulin. Then, I changed her omnipod... Now it was time to change out her Dexcom only to wake in two more hours to calibrate it!!!! Thats technology for you.  Sometimes it can make your life less complicated and more convenient and other times it can be a disaster!!  By 5 a.m Kalee's blood sugar was already down to 174.  The Dexcom was reading accuratly and the omnipod seemed to be administering the insulin accordingly so....  at 6:30 a.m Kalee was feeling good and getting ready for school...  packing up her meters and recievers... almost as if nothing had gone haywire 4 hours prior.  Type 1 has a way of making me think I am losing my mind sometimes..  Well,  I am glad that Kalee is feeling well and all of her gadgets are working properly.  As for myself....  I will plug away through the day in hopes that technology will come through for us tonight so that we all can actually get some sleep!! 

2 comments:

  1. How often are you supposed to calibrate the continuous BG monitor? I've used the Omnipod, but never tried the continuous monitor, because I just didn't want to wear something else. I heard that you initially calibrate it 2 times daily? Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, two times daily is correct for calibration. Sometimes it may ask you for another but that is few and far between. Generally it is once in the morning and once at bedtime. Kalee really does likes the convenience of not having to test her blood sugar so much throughout the day. Sometimes she does get frustrated with having to insert and wear another device but the convenience of it seems to out-weigh the negatives. :)

    ReplyDelete