Saturday, November 10, 2012

"A Free Pass"... would be nice ;)

Doesn't it seem that with everything that children with Type 1 have to go through on a daily basis;  they should have a "free pass" for things to come a little easier for them?  Well, I feel, as a mom, that life in general should go smoother for these kids but unfortunately life definitely does not work this way.  I had my son Michael's 6th grade parent teacher conference today.  It was full of lots of  "Michael is a wonderful child," "Michael does so well," "Michael is so kind," comments, which could not make a mom more proud but, my sweet boy Michael has had to work extremely hard for everything that comes to him.  The one statement that was repeated by his teacher was, "Michael works so hard at everything that he does."  As a parent, I couldn't ask for more effort than what  he puts forth... Studying and time put into homework that brings us into some very late nights. As I sat there listening to the teachers speak so positively of Michael...  I couldn't help but fill up with tears...  I tried desperately to hold them back, as not to look like a crazy, over-emotional mother.  In my head all I kept thinking was...  "He should not have to work so hard for this."  Of  course, I did not say that, but having to see all that my eleven year old has to go through every day just caring for his diabetes..... in my heart of hearts I feel like he should have a "free pass" for things to come easy!  It sounds absolutely ridiculous, I'm sure, to some of you out there.  We are so proud of Michael efforts  but.... for my "baby"  who goes through so much with his health alone...  I WANT LIFE TO BE EASY!!  All of the adults reading this are laughing, I'm sure, as having lived life a little everyone knows that it is not always fair but I am just expressing the feelings of a mom that wishes with all of her heart that she could take this disease from her children and carry the entire burden of it herself..  No parents, life certainly is not easy but all that I hope and pray for (besides a cure) is that my Michael's hard work will make him appreciate all of the positive that comes from his effort....  But it still doesn't take away from the fact that as a mom who sees first hand the daily struggles that these totally resilient kids have to go through every day, I wish more than anything that they all could get a "Free Pass" for the other aspects of life to come a little easier.  Unfortunately life does not work this way and because it doesn't I find that that these Type 1 kids have a strength within them that goes deeper than I can comprehend.  They are the  most admirable of all....  but a "free pass" wouldn't be so bad, Now would it?? ;) 

8 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean, Mary!! I have often thought of this myself! After losing my first baby (Bryce, back in 89), I thought that I should have a much easier life!! I felt like I paid for it!! I paid to have an easier life!! But, no, it doesn't work that way. I've had a child with diabetes...watching him struggle day to day with trying to keep his blood sugar in control plus a daughter with asperger's and a husband with it too. It's never easy. I just have to concentrate that when I get to heaven, it will be easier! And living in Heaven for eternity will be so wonderful....my time here on earth will just be a blink of an eye! Some days, I feel like I can't get there soon enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to have God's promise of Heaven one day... So nice to know that there is something more for us! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I totally agree with you. Sometimes it's hard to understand why life is so unfair. One thing your children have is an outstanding mother; that makes them very blessed! I would love for our families to get together someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie, Thank you for following the blog and for your kind words. I would love for our families to get together... If you are ever in town please contact me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Mary. I think you deserve a free pass as well for all you do to keep your children safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so supportive to know that others can relate to this blog... Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete