Monday, November 19, 2012

Thankfulness.. Not for Type 1 but, for some of the lessons that have come from it ....

I am thankful for so many things but the hustle and bustle of every day life in general can cause one to lose sight of  that which truly matters.  I will never say that I am grateful for Type 1 diabetes because I AM NOT.  Although I can actually say that Type 1 has taught me some valuable lessons along the way.  When my daughter was diagnosed eight years ago it put life into perspective.  The material/frivolous "things"  no longer mattered.  My focus was entirely on my family.  I realized that in a blink on an eye...  life could change.  Our world was changed forever over night. Type 1 also gave me a sense of what is actually "important" in life.  I no longer cared so much as to what others thought of me.... My days of out to please people were over.  It became about doing what was good for my family and this has seemed to work out for us over the years.  Type 1 has a way of causing you to not worry so much about the laundry, the bills, and the plumbing problems (Lord knows we have plumbing problems).....  At the end of the day all of those issues will still be there... But the moments that we cherish with our family are not guaranteed to any of us.  So...  I will take the lessons that I have learned from my children's diagnosis of Type 1 and try to better myself from them...  I can actually say that I am grateful for these life lessons but I will NEVER say that I am grateful for Type 1 diabetes... just for the valuable lessons that have come along with it!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone.... enjoy the Turkey! It's free in carbs....;)

2 comments:

  1. Luckily Shane is a meat eater and will eat his weight in the turkey and ham. :) But, I do agree...I am not thankful one bit about Type 1..but I have learned so much..my family has learned so muched in this last 2 months and I am positive that we will continue to learn. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you April... Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well!

    ReplyDelete