Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Take Time to Take Care of YOURSELF...

I recently have been suffering from back/leg pain that has become quite debilitating.  When I say recently, I should probably clarify that the nagging pain began about 8 months ago.  As we mom's tend to do..  I managed to ignore it and continued to push on with a weekly bottle of Advil (not recommended) and sneakers (instead of high heels).  Throughout the summer the pain became a constant and by August it was obvious that I needed to seek medical advice. I put off seeing the Dr. until the kids returned to school in September...  By this time I could hardly walk or stand for more than a half and hour without a shooting pain that wanted to knock me off of my feet!  After a few x-rays and an MRI it was confirmed that I have a severely herniated disc with broken fragments hitting a multitude of nerves in my back and legs.  Following a consult with a neuro-surgeon (that was interrupted by two phone calls from each of the kids at school with low blood sugars)  I realized very quickly that I HAVE NO TIME FOR THIS!!  As the Dr. began talking surgery I felt the color drain from my face.  This surgery requires a few days in the hospital for recovery and this mom cannot afford to be in the hospital recovering when there are blood sugars to be tested an omnipods to fill:( I made it quite clear that I was willing to attempt every other option before even considering surgery.  I really need to be home for the kids...  I am kicking myself now for putting off and putting off caring for my own self.   How can I be of use to my children if I am stuck in a hospital bed??!!  Here I was  trying not to pay attention to the warning signs of something that could  have possibly been prevented by some physical therapy and rest if I had taken some time out for me and now because of my stubborn "No one can take care of things like I can," attitude, I am facing surgery.  When the Dr. mentioned a few days recovery my first thought was, Who will take care of the kids?. I don't mean cloths, food, showers, homework they are all self-sufficient enough to take care of those immediate needs.  I am referring to the night time lows and the the 3 a.m highs.  The daily insulin corrections..  and the carb. counting.  This is a real fear of mine.  I have depended only on myself to do these things and now I am in a jam.  My husband can certainly take on the task for a few days but this month of all months he is off to another state for business...  only home on the weekends...  There is a lesson to be learned here moms....  Take care of yourself and let people help you!  I have never felt that anyone could care for the kids as well as I could and because of my self-righteous attitude I am in a real jam!!  If I had only accepted help along the way this issue might have been only a bump in the road but unfortunately it is now a huge dilemma of who will take care of my children's diabetic needs while I am recovering....   I will hope and pray that more conservative medical measures will alleviate some of the pain and nerve damage....  Please learn from my mistake moms!!  Take time to take care of yourselves;)

5 comments:

  1. I am praying for you! I understand the fear that comes with this...noone else can add up to a mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much!! Prayers are much needed and appreciated right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I constantly fear something happening to me and who will be able to take care of my daughter's Diabetes. You will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for believing that I will get through this. It is helpful to know that there are people out there who understand that this is not just about me but also about caring for my childrens diabetic needs as I recover.

    ReplyDelete