Saturday, October 20, 2012

Roller Coaster of a Night.....

 Well, last night seemed a little more hectic than the usual. (But nothing too out of the ordinary for this household).  My daughter, Kalee had a soccer game, so I did the normal routine of checking my son Michael's homework before I left him with my oldest daughter Macy to head out to watch Kalee play.  (My husband is away for business so we could not tag team as we usually do)..  Things seemed fine at the game, although Kalee's omnipod got knocked off  twice, which has become a normal occurrence when she plays.... When did soccer become such a physical contact sport??  What happened to just kicking the ball??  As you can probably tell the athlete in Kalee did not come from her mother :)  After the game I needed to get home to cook dinner but Kalee was asked to stay with her team for pizza and watch the Varsity girls last home game for "Senior Night".  I was uneasy with leaving her at the field because the blood sugars go a little haywire after a soccer game but...  she tested and was at a stable 148 so I agreed that she could stay, eat pizza, call me once, and I would pick her up by 7:30, about an hour and a half later.  I came home put dinner on the table, cleaned up and stared at the clock until Kalee called.  I picked her up and she was fine (or so I thought).  We were home and I took a deep breath...  All of the kids were getting settled in for the night and I felt that I could finally relax...  The girls finished up homework and studying by 10:00 p.m. Michael had been asleep since 9:00...   Things seemed calm, then I reminded Kalee to test her blood sugar before bed.  She said she was feeling like she was dropping and her blood sugar was 80 so she grabbed a juice and lowered her backround insulin (basal), then went to sleep.  I checked her at 11:30 p.m just as I was about to hit the pillow and she seemed clammy... Her blood sugar was 44.  I woke her, gave her two juices (thinking that I would fix the high later)...  and went into my bedroom to rest for maybe about twenty minutes before I tested her again.  My eyes were getting heavy but I was certain that in a little while Kalee's blood sugar would rise, then I could sleep.  When I checked her at about midnight she had dropped even lower to an unbelievable 34 (and that was after the two juice boxes that I had given her a half an hour earlier)...  UGH!!!  This was not going to be a good night :(   I lowered her basal to practically nothing, gave her some sugar tablets and fruit snacks (all while she was half asleep) and waited....  I hoped that she would begin to rise but 30 minutes later she was sitting at 60...  not a good enough increase for me to go to sleep.  I did not want to turn her insulin off but I was beginning to contemplate that...  I adjusted the omnipod to the lowest basal that I could and gave her more juice, waited, and prayed.....  This went on until about 4 a.m.  For some reason unknown to me Kalee's blood sugar did not want to rise.  By 4:30 she was up to 90 (still with minimal backround insulin).  I fell asleep until 5:30 a.m when the alarm startled me into a shaken frenzy.  I thought for sure that Kalee's blood sugar would shoot up and be at least 300 from the affects of all of the sugar throughout the night but at 6 a.m her blood sugar was only 86...  I was stumped..  Some how, some way for some reason it seemed to me that Kalee's body was kicking out some of it's own insulin....  If only it would have stayed.... :(   God love her though, she woke up like a champion and headed out the door to school after a night of completely disrupted sleep without one complaint.  By lunch time Kalee had texted me that her blood sugar was rising and she was almost at 200 so we put her regular basal (backround insulin) back into place...  No explanation for what had occurred the night before just part of the the roller coaster ride that Type 1 takes us on from time to time... ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment