Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Happy Summer :)

Well....  It has been some time since I have posted last.  June was a bit of a whirlwind with final exams and end of the school year activities!  I welcome summer vacation, for sure.  No 5:30 a.m alarm clocks going off or teenage girls banging on the bathroom door to hurry each other up so everyones hair can be perfect...  (It's all about the hair in the morning, with the girls..lol).  Michael went to a Sugar Free Gang Camp (camp for children with diabetes)...  the last week in June.  He loves it and looks forward to going every year.  Kalee had gone for many years, as a matter of fact this was the first year that she opted out....  her explanation was, "I live diabetes every day, so I do not need one extra week in the summer to be reminded of it."  Sounds like a typical fifteen year old attitude to me... but, I do get where she is coming from ;)  Kalee has beeen keeping busy with soccer clinics, which seem to make her the most happy in the summer.  I would love to say that her blood sugars have been leveling off but....  NOT!!  The numbers go up and down like a roller coaster.  Our main problem is the actual omnipod itself.. It does not seem to be a great fit for her, with lots of occlusions or just plain falling off but since it is still the only wireless insulin pump out there, that is what she wants to stick with.  Michael is using it, as well, without many problems for the time being.... you all know how that goes :)  Kalee just got the new Dexcom continuous glucose meter....  it seems much more accurate than the original Dexcom 7 and it comes in funky colors, the shape of the i-pod nano, so it is slim and sleek enough to fit nicely into a pocket.  So far so good with it although Kalee is still not big on having more than one gadget stuck into her....  and I can't say that I blame her. So that currently brings you all up to date as to where we are this summer.  Our plans are to head on down to Disney in August.  I am hesitant about the drive with the issue's that I still have with my back but....  I know for sure, that a vacation is definitley welcome for our family.  This may be the last year that we can do the August Disney Vacation because, our oldest daughter, Macy, will be starting college in 2014.  Senior year in the high school begins for her this coming September, which is just wild to me....  So I hope that everyone is having a safe and happy summer with little to no issue's in the world of Type 1D.  xoxo <3

Michael (blue shirt)- Holding up 1 word puzzle pieces showing how Type1 makes them feel.


2 comments:

  1. The pictures are so sweet!!! It's bitter sweet for me since Bryan went to this same camp for many years and even a couple years ago, was a camp counselor in training (CIT). I loved him going but he's moving on to other things (working this summer at the Boy Scout camp). Michael looks so cute and happy at the camp now! I'm so glad the camp is still around for him! So sad that the Circle of Life camp had to close (last summer and I think this summer too)! So tragic!! Anyway, it's a really tough diabetes world that we live in. I wish we didn't have these struggles and worries of blood sugars with our kids. I really envy other parents who don't have to worry about all the special needs their children have. They have no idea how blessed they are! I am blessed too, to have 3 beautiful children, but it's been a difficult road too. I feel very fortunate we have the pump to make things easier. Thank God for that!
    Thanks for starting this log, Mary!!! God Bless you for that!!!! Hugs and prayers,
    Benita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benita... I had no idea that the Circle of Life Camp closed down. How sad :( I found the cutest picture of the Sugar Free Gang Camp that Kalee and Bryan are both in. They look so young.. Time really does fly! Thank you for reading the blog and always supporting me.. <3

      Delete